Healthcare professionals from Island Health (South) refer frail seniors transitioning to/from hospital to the program. On receiving a referral the Community Services Coordinator will meet with the client and match them with a specially trained Return to Health volunteer.
Volunteers provide social support, encouragement, connections to community resources. Return to Health Volunteers receive specialized training in seniors’ issues, stressing good communication skills and familiarity with the aging process. The initial 15 hours of training is given each Spring. In addition volunteers receive ongoing support at monthly meetings. The purpose of these meetings is for further education and connection to other volunteers.
Typical Services Our Volunteers Can Provide:
- Rides to/accompany to medical appointments:
- Grocery shopping or help ordering groceries;
- Run errands that can be accomplished within a two hour time frame; eg. banking/shopping/pick up prescriptions;
- Help setting up pre-made meal service;
- Assist with HandyDART application, schedule first rides, accompany on first trip;
- Red Cross: pick-up, deliver, drop off small medical equipment;
- Companionship: enjoying a laugh, going for a walk, doing a puzzle; reading a book;
- Social: Help connect with community services & senior centers;
- Mail: help with sorting and prioritizing bills;
- Transition you to other volunteer agencies on discharge from our program.
- Rebalance Clients: Assist with educational video, rides to pre/post-operative appointments/surgery, possible ride home on discharge. We do not provide daily visits post-surgery, help prepare meals or stay overnight.
Services our Volunteers Cannot Provide:
Medical advice, personal care (bathing, dressing, medication management); cleaning, laundry, pushing a wheelchair, lifting a client.
more information or to register as a volunteer call Seniors Serving Seniors – 250-413-3211.
An average of 150 clients are supported each year.
Referrals can be faxed to 250-590-9938, sent to email@example.com or you phone 250-590-9989.