The Return to Health Volunteer assists isolated seniors following hospitalization in the transition from hospital to home. Volunteers provide non-medical volunteer support for a short term period, typically 2-12 weeks, as the patient recovers. The goal is to assist in regaining independence.
Volunteer visits are scheduled, typically two hours per week. We provide practical support, encouragement and connections to community resources during the patients convalescence. This program is free of charge.
Typical Services Provided By Our Volunteers
- Rides to/accompany to medical appointments;
- Grocery shopping or help ordering groceries;
- Run errands that can be accomplished within a two hour time frame; eg. banking/shopping/pick up prescriptions;
- Help setting up pre-made meal service;
- Assist with HandyDART application, schedule first rides, accompany on first trip;
- Red Cross: pick-up, deliver, drop off small medical equipment;
- Companionship: enjoying a laugh, going for a walk, doing a puzzle; reading a book;
- Social: Help connect with community services & senior center’s;
- Mail: help with sorting and prioritizing bills;
- Transition to other volunteer agencies on discharge from our program.
We are unable to provide:
Bathing; dressing; medication management; offer medical advice; pushing a wheelchair; lifting clients; cleaning homes or doing laundry.
Our volunteers are usually seniors; they have been screened and have passed a criminal record check.
Volunteers are not “on-call” or to be used as an emergency service.
Training and resource tools to address age related issues will begin in March, 2020.
Please call Vicki @ 250-413-3211 OR email: firstname.lastname@example.org for dates
Seniors’ in Stitches Knitters meet one morning a month on the 2nd Wednesday of the month to socialize, restock their yarn supply and show their knitted items to be donated.
Please call Vicki @ 250-413-3211 OR email: email@example.com for more information and to register!
Senior Peer Listeners
This program will now be delivered by Beacon Community Services 250-656-5537.